Saturday, December 12, 2009

On Reading Thomas Costain

Have mercy, Sirs, have mercy,
Have mercy on this fool,
I am no evil man,
I will do you no harm.

I was of good intent,
I was a loyal man.
Have mercy! Have mercy!
I can be loyal still.

Where is the noble prince?
He must have mercy
On this foolish soul.
Where is he now?

I am no match
For crafty Mortimer.
I am the perfect fool,
Is that a crime?

Part Two


Lay down your head,
My sweet Lord Kent.
Lay down your Kent,
It's time to rest.

It's not for evil crimes,
You die today.
You dont deserve
To die this way.

This Edward mourned by none
Has gone away.
You tossed your life away,
You fat old fool!

You stupid man,
Lay down your head!
We needed not much bait
To catch a fool.


Part Three


Have mercy, sirs,
On this goodly knight.
He was the best to me,
The King was good to die.

Have mercy on this man,
The King was just a fool.
The King was not the man
That Mortimer has been.

Should love be hid?
Should we have left the King
On his unstable throne?
Where is justice?

I have lost all,
I have lost Mortimer.
Fate was not kind
To me and Mortimer.


Part Four


Have mercy, sirs, have mercy
On this foolish pride.
I lived to rule a realm,
Is pride a crime?

I was of noble birth,
I am a King at heart.
Have mercy on my soul!
I must be royal still.

Have mercy on my soul!
This is no fitting end
For England's best.
Have mercy on my soul!

Great schemes have come
To bitter conclusion.
What is ambition's worth?
Now there is only death.

No comments: